Focal (semesters 3 and 4)
In year 2, students will have the opportunity to opt for an in-depth major programme in either Global Health Policy and Programmes or Advanced Research Methods and Tools, which they can compose themselves through elective courses. The elective courses for these majors will preferably focus on topics that are relevant to their internship and Master’s thesis. Students will already have been assigned a mentor in year 1 (their Master’s thesis supervisor), who will oversee the coherence of the curriculum. Particular attention will be paid to coordinating the elective courses chosen, the Master’s thesis and the internship.
In addition to the Master’s thesis and internship, there are two compulsory courses in year 2.
Research Methods in Global Health II:
The aim of this course is to provide students an insight into the most important methodologies of Qualitative Research and Monitoring and Evaluation required to perform and understand Global Health research.
Essential Skills in Global Health II: leadership skills
This course focuses on leadership skills and aims to familiarize students with important skills needed to function professionally in the field of global health. It will deal with the following topics: theories in leadership research, different leadership styles, understanding your own leadership style, communication skills and networking skills.
The Master’s dissertation is a paper in which the student independently develops a research project. The student carries out a scientific study in an independent and creative way with regard to a topic concerning global health. The dissertation can be seen as the end point of the programme, in which the acquired knowledge, academic and domain-specific skills and competencies are used to develop a standalone research project and bring it to a successful conclusion. The dissertation is started in year 1, but the bulk of the work will be done in year 2.
In the second year, students will undertake a 10-week professional internship in the field. The aim of the internship is to put global health thinking into practice, to acquire skills and practical knowledge, and to get a better view of the total domain of global health, including the various actors, specializations and career opportunities that this encompasses. The student is involved in all aspects of the work undertaken.
Examples of internship placements include:
- Interuniversity Institute for Biostatistics and Statistical Bioinformatics (I-BioStat), Hasselt, Belgium
- Médecins du Monde, Brussels, Belgium
- FOD Volksgezondheid, Veiligheid van de Voedselketen en Leefmilieu/Kwaliteit en Patiëntveiligheid, Brussels, Belgium
- EU Assembly for European Regions, Strasbourg, France
- Department of Public Health and Primary Care, Ghent University, Belgium
- International Labour Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
- International Organization for Migration, Geneva, Switzerland
- UNICEF, Brussels, Belgium
- Red Cross, Mechelen, Belgium
- World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
- International Union for Health Promotion and Education, St Denis, France
- International Centre for Reproductive Health, Ghent, Belgium
- Centre for Research on Culture and Gender, Ghent, Belgium
Become a Master in Global Health
Your dream is within reach. Follow your heart and get started on the career of your dreams.Register